Poulsbo Animal ClinicPet Wellness: Preventive Care for Your Best Pal
There are plenty of obstacles that can prevent pet owners from bringing their pets to the veterinarian for regular wellness checkups. For some, finances are the major concern, while others might only bring their pets in when an illness or injury crops up. Many owners simply don’t want to struggle with pets who are fearful of the vet’s office or resistant to car travel.
Regardless of the struggles involved, making a commitment to regular pet wellness is always in your pet’s, and your, best interest! The annual physical exam is one of the greatest investments you can make in your pet’s future. Taking care of his or her health and wellness now will help to ensure that your best pal is by your side for years to come.
The Ins and Outs of Pet Wellness
Along with vaccinations, weight checks, diagnostics, and a “nose to tail” physical examination, a variety of other areas of your pet’s health are taken into consideration during the wellness exam:
- Dental health – Up to 85% of dogs and cats have some form of dental disease by the time they reach 3 years of age. Untreated dental disease can lead to significant health problems for your pet and may even decrease his or her life expectancy. Your veterinarian will perform an oral examination at each visit and discuss your options for home and follow-up care.
- Parasite prevention – Flea, tick, and heartworm prevention is a vital aspect of your pet’s wellness. Heartworm testing and parasite risk assessments are necessary for determining a parasite prevention protocol for your pet.
- Behavioral concerns – The pet wellness exam is the perfect opportunity to discuss any questions or concerns you may have regarding your pet’s behavior. Certain behavioral issues can also indicate underlying health problems, which can be assessed more closely during the exam.
A lot can happen in your pet’s life over the course of a year, and because pets age so much faster than humans, it’s that much more important that your pet sees his or her veterinarian for the annual or biannual exam.
- By bringing your pet in while he or she is healthy, we can establish a health baseline (your pet’s “normals”), allowing us to quickly detect and treat any problems that arise.
- Delaying vaccinations and important diagnostics can actually be more expensive in the long run. Without the support of your veterinary team, health issues may be overlooked and lead to decreased longevity for your pet and increased expense for you.
- Bringing your pet in for regularly scheduled exams allows us to get to know your furry friend, and you! This bond is what enables us to serve your pet to the best of our ability all throughout his or her life.
Regular wellness exams are one of the most important and beneficial things we can do for our beloved pets. Please call the team at Poulsbo Animal Clinic today to set up an appointment. We look forward to seeing you and your best friend!