Poulsbo Animal ClinicThorough Dental Cleanings Promote Longevity
Regular dental care improves your pet’s health and happiness. At Poulsbo Animal Clinic, we believe annual dental exams and cleanings are key to your pet’s overall wellness. Tooth and gum disease can develop as early as 1–½ years old in both dogs and cats, causing serious health problems for your animal companion. Our goal is to protect your pet against these health problems by providing comprehensive dental cleanings that meet the highest standards for safety and care.
Dental cleanings at our clinic are performed under anesthesia, which allows us to complete a thorough examination while ensuring your pet’s comfort. Anesthesia-free dentistry is offered by some clinics but is considered malpractice and is not done at Poulsbo Animal Clinic. As such, we use the same safety procedures during dental cleanings as we do during surgery. For all of our dental cleanings, we administer individualized anesthesia, carefully manage any pain with medication, and monitor your pet closely.
Our thorough dental cleanings include the following:
- Examination of your pet’s mouth to check for disease, such as gum recession, tooth fractures, or gingivitis
- Scaling above and beneath the gumline to remove tartar and plaque
- Probing all teeth for signs of decay, such as soft spots or abscesses
- Polishing of every tooth
If we see signs of dental disease or tooth decay, our veterinarians and technicians will complete additional procedures to diagnose and treat the problem. These may include:
- Digital dental radiology—We use digital x-rays to gain a more complete picture of your pet’s mouth and teeth
- Oral surgery—If needed, we may surgically extract a tooth or apply a tooth preservation treatment to manage your pet’s dental problem
Contact us today to learn more about our dental cleanings or to schedule an appointment.